Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How do we drift so easily? We only live so long.

Us humans are so fragile. We take things so seriously, even if we claim to take things quite lightly. As a recent high school graduate, I am realizing how quickly my peers from high school and I are drifting.

I had a solid group of 5 girls, including me. We were best friends. One of them has left for 6 months, 2 of them I haven't spoken to since my birthday in mid-July. And the last one and I always talk, since we've been best friends since 2nd grade. Just yesterday I was going to see a movie (Charlie St. Cloud, which I will be reviewed here on Sunday!) with a friend of mine, and there was a girl working there whom I was friends with. She gave me nothing more than a tiny, barely-there smile. Of course, she was working, but there were no managers around. A "hi" wouldn't have been the death of her.

It's sad, really. She could have very well been thinking the same thing as I was - oh, it's her! I hope she's says hi, she's so cool. She might have been waiting for me to say something. But why? Why do people wait? We only live so long. Now the awkward phase had begun. I walk through that movie theatre very often when I go to work.

But really... how many people go through their lives without saying what they should have said? Even if its nothing like what happened to me. There's many things during my high school career I seriously wish I had said. I wish I had told that guy in my class that I liked him, or at least got to know him better. I wish I had told my drama teacher how much I will miss her. I wish I had told my math teacher how horrible he was and that he only cared for the students that already knew what they were doing without his help.

Seriously. I recommend speaking up. I wish I could do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment